Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Spreading cheer in the New Year!

Management Guru Arindam Chaudhuri Dean Business School IIPM

You’ve seen the remarkable strength of the Deols, now judge their comic timing as Dharmendra, Sunny and Bobby attempt to start the year with a rip-roaring comedy. Bobby Deol speaks to Anu Gulmohar about their film “Yamla Pagla Deewana,” his reverence for his father, the power of Sunny Deol, and lots more…

Bobby Deol’s very first film “Barsaat” released in 1995, which made him the heartthrob of teenagers. The fan following only strengthened in the latter 90s as he ‘soldiered’ on delivering hit upon hit. As I lay my eyes on him at the newly opened Jynxxx club in New Delhi, I am reminded of his hit club number from “Gupt” and the crush I had on him in my teenage years. And I can't help but notice that 15 years post his debut, this Jat boy is still quite a looker. “You cannot be a favourite of teenagers always,” he comments to me in the middle of this interview. He goes on to reason, “Teenage is a very fickle age, one day they like something, the next they like something else. The flavours keep changing. Every new boy who comes into the
industry becomes a teenage sensation and then it changes, but that’s not what’s important. What’s important is eventually how long you’ve been here and how much people still want to see you.” He declares all this pragmatically, confident that people are indeed waiting for his next film, “Yamla Pagla Deewana,” which stars him alongside his father Dharmendra and elder brother Sunny Deol. It is a special film for the family, not only because it marks the second film starring all three Deols, but because it is being released in the 50th year of Dharmendra’s career in
cinema.

It is only by co-incidence that this remarkable achievement is being commemorated with a film in which his son Bobby mimics one of the most memorable scenes of his career –the water tank scene from “Sholay”. “I don’t think I can better his performance, and when I was doing the scene I wasn’t thinking of bettering it either, because I can’t,” states Bobby rather humbly. “The character I play, Gajodhar, is a fan of “Sholay” and Dharmendra, and he looks up to this actor and thinks that ‘I can be like that…if I do that will I get the girl?’ So, Gajodhar stands on the tank trying to be Dharmendra, thinking it will happen. But then his brother shakes him and says hello, times have changed and you can’t climb tanks and get what you want. I was definitely nervous because it was something my dad had done, but it was fun also; to have a moment like that was something special.” There are other times that Bobby has imitated his father off-screen. “My gestures are like my dad because when I was a kid I was like any child who looks up to his father. I used to always watch him and I picked up his habits.”
Where this film is a tribute to Dharmendra, Bobby’s immense respect for his father keeps recurring during our chat, even when talking about all the fun they had shooting in Punjab. “We haven’t gone together to Punjab since so long, and we were all there together for 45 days, shooting right next to my mum’s village; so we got really great food from there! My dad is an amazing actor, his comic sense is superb. So, when you’re working with him, you improve too, and you start enjoying it even more,” smiles Bobby.
“People think that it’s easy for an actor’s son, but there are so many actors’ sons who have not made it. Definitely, there is a very big hype around your launch because people want to see Dharmendra or any big actor’s son, but then after that it’s your own work that speaks for you,” claims Bobby. But the going hasn’t been going so good for Bobby in the last few years, and many of his films have been rather disappointing. “Every day is a new day. Things may be going right for you one moment and the next they’re not, but these things keep happening,” states the star.

From sending a chill down our spine with his thrillers to now trying to tickle our funny bone, Bobby seems keen on testing new ground every time. “For me, I would love to do every genre…I have not done many comedies and it’s very difficult to make people laugh.” Action is after all the forte of the Deols, Sunny in particular. But Bobby assures that there will be action in “Yamla Pagla Deewana” too. “There are action scenes obviously, as there is Sunny Deol. But the action is something everybody will enjoy, because people will find it funny, yet the power of Sunny Deol will come across.”
Film magazines by the dozen are able to cash in on the interest people have about knowing more about celebrities and their families. So, why shouldn’t the celebrities themselves profit from our banal and rather invasive curiosity? “The USP of this film is the chemistry we share on-screen too, and that is what people enjoyed when they saw the promos,” remarks Bobby casually. Get ready to see a lot more of this chemistry between the father and sons, and for some crazy fun with the Deols in 2011!

For More IIPM Info, Visit below mentioned IIPM articles.
IIPM ranks No 1 in International Exposure in the 'Third Mail Today B-School Survey'
IIPM Excom Prof Rajita Chaudhuri
Kapil Sibal’s voters want Jan Lokpal, not Government-proposed Lokpal Bill
IIPM: What is E-PAT?

"Thorns to Competition" amongst the top 10 best sellers of the week.

IIPM RANKED NO.1 in MAIL TODAY B-SCHOOL RANKINGS
'Thorns to Competition' - You can order your copy online from here
IIPM Mumbai Campus

No comments: